With entrepreneurs, rappers, DJs, and professional sports players leading the way, more and more celebrities are joining in the NFT craze than ever.
Some launch their own NFT collections; some collect NFTs from other creators; some directly invest in NFT ventures. Some do all.
This guide will dive into the portfolios of the top celebrity NFT owners who have collected dazzling JPEGs from the most extravagant collections.
Let’s explore: which celebrity has the largest NFT portfolio so far? What projects are most popular?
Entrepreneur Gary Vee has been an NFT ambassador from its early days. Recently, he launched his own Veefriends NFT project that provides the owners three-year access to a multi-day conference called Veecon. Around 74% of his NFT wealth comes from his own collection. He kept 1016 Veefriends NFTs which have approximately $69M in market value.
He’s been collecting NFTs from other collections as well. As of writing, Gary Vee’s NFT portfolio is allegedly worth more than $90M.
Some attention-grabbing pieces from his portfolio are:
- 60 CryptoPunks. Cryptopunks is the revolutionary NFT collection launched in 2017 that started the crypto art movement. Cryptopunks collection represents one of the first examples of the non-fungibility concept on Ethereum. The most valuable editions in Vee’s collection are CryptoPunk #2424 and #2140.
- 7 Bored Ape Yacht Club (BAYC). BAYC is a collection of 10,000 ape NFTs. It’s one of the most exclusive NFT collections. In recent months owning a BAYC NFT has become a status symbol in the crypto world. It serves as a digital identity that provides the owner access to exclusive membership club activities, like the collaborative graffiti board bathroom.
- Three Meebits. It is another prominent collection by Larva Labs, the studio that made the legendary Cryptopunks.
The famous rapper Snoop Dogg is one of the most influential NFT celebrities. He was an early promoter of Dogecoin; he partnered with the Sandbox Game on new land offerings; he collaborated with Chris Torres to launch the NyanDogg collection.
Last September, he revealed that he is actually the human behind the anonymous Cozomo de’ Medici, a popular NFT collector Twitter account that had launched in August. He said he wanted to separate his NFT business from other activities.
Here are some of the most valuable NFT assets he owns under the pseudonym Cozomo de’ Medici. The entire collection is valued at around $14M.
- 10 Crypto Punks worth $8,81M and 9 Meebits worth $2,5M. The most expensive asset in his portfolio is CryptoPunk #3831.
- Toadzomo, valued at $1,7M, was created by the anonymous artist Gremplin. The Toadz project consists of 6,969 NFTs, and it’s inspired by the Cryptopunks project.
- He acquired various artworks from the generative art platform Art Blocks. The most precious piece is Elevated Deconstructions #110 by luxpris.
- He invested in many individual artists on the Superrare platform. He has 16 pieces, including the pioneer NFT artist Xcopy’s “Some Ashhole” piece he bought for 1300 ETH.
Another NFT frontrunner is Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian. His NFT collection includes 6 Cryptopunks, 2 BAYCs, 10 Meebits, and many others. The most valuable NFT in the portfolio is Cryptopunk #8115.
Ohanian gifted his wife Serena Williams a look-a-like punk (Cryptopunk #2950). He wore its image as a badge on his collar while visiting the 2021 MET Gala.
All six punks in Ohanian’s portfolio are black female punks with headbands. The entire Cryptopunks collection has 3,840 female punks.
He also invested in the Cool Cats project with 7 NFTs. Cool Cats is a collection of randomly generated NFTs on the Ethereum blockchain. Owners are free to do anything with them under a non-exclusive license.
In addition, Ohanian minted 13 pairs of NFT sneakers and 4 Daypacks from the 10KFT collection. The 10KFT NFT collection allows NFT owners to create customized sneaker designs featuring their NFTs. But only a few exclusive NFT collections are accepted, such as BAYC, Cool Cats, and CrypToadz.
- Swaggy Sea Lion from Gary Vee’s Veefriends collection.
- Three M1 Mutant Serum NFTs, which had been airdropped to all BAYC owners. Its market value is around 9ETH.
- Cool Cat #3350.
- 5 CloneX NFTs. CloneX is an NFT collection co-created by the famous Japanese contemporary artist Takashi Murakami and RTFKT. RTFKT is a leading brand that delivers next-gen gaming sneakers and collectibles. It’s been acquired by Nike very recently.
Another celebrity who invested in Cryptopunks, BAYC, and Veefriends collections is DJ Marshmello. His portfolio has 120 NFTs with around $1M market value, including 11 NFTs from the Cryptoadz collection by Gremplin.
The most valuable three NFTs from his collection are:
- Cryptopunk #8274
- BAYC #4808
- BAYC #9231
Among the top NFT celebrity owners, musician Post Malone might be the only one who doesn’t have any Cryptopunks. Instead, he has two BAYCs, #9039 and #961, totally valued at more than $532K. He also invested in the Wolf Game, Swampverse, and Sisters collections.
Rapper Jay Z owns the Cryptopunk #6095 and one Portrait and one Sneaker from the RTFKT Cryptopunks project. RTFKT Cryptopunks project functions in a similar vein as the 10KFT NFT collection in that it’s only open to punk owners. 10,000 unique sneakers were created via the corresponding punk from the original Cryptopunks project.
The artist Beeple is one of the most valuable crypto art creators today. He made the headlines in 2021 after he sold the Everydays: The First 5000 Days collection for $69M in an auction at Christie’s.
His NFT portfolio, which consists of works other than his own, isn’t modest either. He gave back to the NFT ecosystem by investing more than $400M in various artists on the Rarible platform. Additionally, he’s some pieces from the Veefriends, Cryptocubes, and Meebits collections.
Billionaire entrepreneur Mark Cuban also collected a large number of NFT artworks from the Rarible platform. His NFT portfolio is worth around $467M, with BAYC # 1597 and FEWO Crypto Brick being the most precious pieces. The latter is a collaboration between the RTFKT studios and the well-known NFT artist Fewocious.
Other notable celebrity NFT collectors include the NBA star Stephen Curry and the Rapper Ja Rule. The most valuable asset in Curry’s portfolio is the #7990 BAYC. Ja Rule has the #3512 from the Mutant Ape Yacht Club collection.
Final Thoughts: Celebrities Are Loving NFTs
The influx of multifaceted musicians, entrepreneurs, artists, and professional sports players into the NFT space has been welcomed by open arms by all NFT holders.
Many NFT-holding celebrities tend to acquire pieces from iconic NFT collections such as the BAYC, Cool Cats, and Crypto Punks, but we’re also seeing many celebrities invest in individual artists’ works. In recent months, owning a BAYC or Punk evolved from being something that just crypto people collected to a status symbol for celebrities and athletes.
We’re eager to follow the celebrity movement into NFTs and explore what’s next on the horizon.